Sunday, June 26, 2011

Review: Dum Dum Girls: He Gets Me High [A]


Artist: Dum Dum Girls
Album [EP]: He Gets Me High
Released: Feb 2011
Label: Sub Pop Records
Genre: garage rock / lo-fi

Purchase Date: 02 March 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

I loved this band's 2010 debut full-length I Will Be, and when I saw that they had released a new 4-song EP, I bought it two days after it came out. I was not disappointed. They polished their sound a bit, taking maybe a quarter-step away from lo-fi toward an ever-so-slightly richer production. They have kept the '60s garage rock sound, and the four tracks are three rockers and a ballad. The highlights are the title track and a cover of The Smith's "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," which closes the record.

This is an extremely fun record. Highly recommended.

Rating: A


No comments: