Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Review: Bullet For My Valentine: Fever [F]


Artist: Bullet For My Valentine
Album: Fever
Released: April 2010
Label: Jive Records
Genre: heavy metal

Purchase Date: 07 Jan 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

I bought this album based on eMusic and Amazon recommendations, without knowing much about the band or its sound. I listened to the 30-second clips on Amazon and it sounded like decent metal, so I gave it a chance. Big mistake.

I knew that I would eventually buy an album that I didn't like, but I can't remember having such a violently negative reaction to a piece of music. To be honest, the lyrics of this record so enraged me that I could not force myself to listen to the whole thing.

The blatant misogyny that BFMV displays in this recording is just beyond the pale. The first track, "Your Betrayal" is about how much the singer wants to exact violent revenge on his ex-girlfriend for the unpardonably sin of ending their relationship. Next up was a song about stalking a woman who wouldn't talk to the singer at a bar with the insinuation that he planned to rape her. There was a song about how all women are evil and that the best thing is to hurt them first. There were more songs on the album, but I had to stop listening because I was becoming sick to my stomach.

And the music. They guys are technically competent, but they sound, more or less, like Nickelback. 'Nuff said. I have actually deleted the mp3s from my computer so that I don't accidentally stumble across this music again.

This was an absolutely terrible album. Avoid at all costs. I wish I could get my $5 back.

Rating: F

(I'm not going to give them the courtesy of linking to a video. You can see one on their home page, which I linked above, if you really want to. I don't recommend it.)

No comments: