Thursday, June 30, 2011

Flashback Review: Bratmobile: Ladies, Women, and Girls [B+]


Artist: Bratmobile
Album: Ladies, Women, and Girls
Released: 2000
Label: Lookout! Records
Genre: punk / riot grrrl

Purchase date: 2 Mar 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: eMusic

I first heard of the riot grrrl punk movement in 1991 when I was a senior in college. A friend of mine who was a self-described radical lesbian feminist was playing Bikini Kill's self-titled record, and when I said I liked it and asked who it was, she dubbed me a cassette copy. That cassette is long gone, but I always had a soft spot for fiery female-led rock. Then Sound Opinions did a brief retrospective of riot grrrl in March of this year, and I bought this album by the other American exemplar of riot grrrl, Bratmobile.

Ladies, Women, and Girls was released by Bratmobile in 2000, seven years after the band's debut, and a year after the band re-formed after a five-year hiatus. The band retained its energy and message espousing female empowerment, and it's a whole lot of fun. Bratmobile would release only one more studio album in 2003 before disbanding.

Rating: B+


No comments: