Saturday, June 25, 2011

Review: Best Coast: Crazy For You [B+]

Artist: Best Coast
Album: Crazy For You
Released: July 2010
Label: Mexican Summer Records
Genre: indie rock / garage rock

Purchase date: 31 Jan 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: December and January are the best months to discover new music, as you scan other critics' annual "Best Of" lists and find things you either missed or dismissed when they were released. Best Coast fell into the latter camp for me when their debut came out in the middle of summer 2010. I half-listened to a track on the radio over the summer, and it failed to move me, so I didn't pay this band much attention until this album started appearing on a number of other critics' lists. I decided to give it a full listen.

As their name implies, this is joyful summer beach music. As with the Dum Dum Girls, another band I really liked this year, Best Coast evokes the sounds of garage rock, surf rock, and '60s girl groups while remaining firmly in the 21st century. Lead singer and songwriter Bethany Cosentino doesn't go for profound or heavy philosophizing with her lyrics, but she sure has a lot of fun with what she's got. This music isn't deep, but it sure is fun. Recommended.

Rating: B+


No comments: