Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: DeVotchKa: 100 Lovers [C+]


Artist: DeVotchKa
Album: 100 Lovers
Released: February 2011
Label: ANTI- Records
Genre: indie folk

Purchase date: 2 Mar 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

I'd heard of DeVotchKa for years, but had never bought an album of their before. All Songs Considered put up the album for free streaming for a week or so back in February in their "First Listen" series, so I gave it a listen one afternoon while I was working. I liked what I heard, so when Amazon listed 100 Lovers among its $5 albums for March, I downloaded it.

It's an interesting album, and a bit hard to classify. They use eastern European chord and song structures with alt-rock instrumentation, for a sound they call "Gypsy punk." The music is fun, but after a few listens, I found that it didn't have a lot of staying power, and it never entered my high rotation. Basically, I can't say anything bad about this album, other than it just didn't click with me all that much. Honestly, the songs kind of run together in my mind, and I can't really pull a lyric or melody of this album from my memory.

So, it's kind of fun, but a little on the bland side for my tastes.

Rating: C+


No comments: