Saturday, December 11, 2010

Flashback Review: Rilo Kiley: More Adventurous [B+]

Artist: Rilo Kiley
Album: More Adventurous
Released: July 2004
Label:Beaut/Brute Records
Genre: indie pop

Purchase date: 4 Feb 2010
Source: eMusic
Format: MP3 files

I'd heard of Rilo Kiley for years, but had only noticed them once or twice on the local college radio station. Then they started showing up frequently on some of my Pandora channels, and I started to pay attention to them. Then All Songs Considered played a recording of a concert, and I realized that I'd been missing out. I decided that I needed to take a chance, so I downloaded this five-year-old album of theirs with some "loyalty bonus tracks" I'd accumulated from eMusic.

Led by singer-songwriter Jenny Lewis, the band tends to pair upbeat, catchy melodies with very dark and sometimes disturbing lyrics. For example, the opening track of More Adventurous, "It's A Hit," sounds like a breezy love song, but is really a biting indictment of the Bush Administration and the war in Iraq. Lewis has a very pretty and expressive voice, which often completely contrasts with the words she's singing. The music is playful, and the band has a lot of fun with the witty juxtaposition of music and lyric. It's fun music, with a cutting edge. Recommended.

Rating: B+

No comments: