Monday, December 27, 2010

Flashback Review: Black Mountain [C-]


Artist: Black Mountain
Album: Black Mountain
Released: January 2005
Label: Jagjaguwar
Genre: hard rock / stoner rock

Purchase date: 04 May 2010
Format: mp3 files
Source: eMusic

I was a big fan of this Vancouver-based hard rock act's 2007 sophomore album In The Future, which made my top-10 end-of-year list for that year. I was even more impressed with the 2009 release of the Black Mountain spin-off act Lightning Dust. So I decided to buy the band's 2005 debut album without listening to much of it first. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

Black Mountain is heavier, murkier, sludgier, and a lot less distinctive than the band's later release, and leans more toward stoner rock. Song titles like "Druganaut" highlight this. The un-ironic retro-70's heavy metal vibe, which I liked so much about In The Future, is mostly missing from this release. It is also much less polished and far less ambitious.

So, while I do give a lukewarm recommendation to Black Mountain fans (who probably already have this record) and to stoner rock fans, everyone else can probably pass.

Rating: C-



No comments: