Sunday, December 12, 2010

Concert Review: NYS Baroque - "The Festive Concerto"

Artist: NYS Baroque
Concert Date: 12 Dec 2010
Venue: First Unitarian Church, Ithaca NY
Genre: Classical

I'm just getting back from an amazing local concert by NYS Baroque, one of the premiere early music ensembles in the Northeast. They specialize in the music of the Renaissance, Baroque, and early Classical periods, and perform on period instruments. A bit of disclosure: the artistic director, Heather Miller Lardin, is based here in Ithaca, and my kid is currently one of her private music students.

The concert was an all Baroque show, featuring works by Corelli, Telemann, Muffat, Locatelli, and JS Bach. The concert was magnificent: the musicians are all top-notch and their musicianship is astounding. Hearing early music performed on period instruments is a real feast for the senses, as period instruments have a distinctly different sound quality than their modern counterparts.

The only work I'd heard before the concert was the Bach piece: Brandenburg Concerto No. 3. Honestly, I much preferred the version I heard tonight over any recording I've ever heard of this piece.

If you ever have an opportunity to see NYS Baroque, I strongly recommend that you take it.

No comments: