Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Review: Spoon: Transference [B]

Artist: Spoon
Album: Transference
Released: January 2010
Label: Merge Records
Genre: indie rock

Purchase date: 07 March 2010
Source: eMusic
Format: MP3 files

I don't think I'm young enough to be a hipster (and if I was, I'm not sure I'd want to be), but my music tastes seem to run along hipster lines. Consequently, I was very excited for the new Spoon record when it came out in January 2010, and I got it as soon as my eMusic account refreshed after it was posted to the site.

As indie bands go, Spoon is one of the most successful, with a strong following and much critical acclaim. Their previous release, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, was one of my best picks for 2008.

Transference, the band's seventh full-length studio album, is much more of a mood record than its predecessor. The band dialed down a lot of its energy to produce music that's dark and brooding, while retaining Spoon's legendary intensity. This is very much a "headphones" album: best appreciated ann you can really focus on it, like in your bedroom with dimmed lights while wearing high-end headphones.

Unfortunately, the music doesn't really hold up to repeated deep listens. I did like this record, just not as much as I'd expected. While certainly a respectable album, I didn't like it as much as the previous one. I guess that's a problem with following bands you really like: sometimes they let you down by being good instead of great.

Rating: B

No comments: