Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: Okkervil River: I Am Very Far [A-]


Artist: Okkervil River
Album: I Am Very Far
Released: May 2011
Label: Jagjaguwar
Genre: indie rock

Purchase Date: 11 May 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

I'll start by saying that Okkervil River has been, consistently, one of my favorite bands of the past few years. The sixth release from this band from Austin breaks a bit from their usual style of producing tightly-written thematic albums that tell a sonic story. I Am Very Far is much looser, and the lyrics of the songs are much more free-form and obscure than those of earlier albums. At first, I found the songs to be a bit more hit-and-miss than earlier releases, and while the album had some stand-out tracks (notably "Rider," one of their best songs), I didn't think it worked as an album. After repeated listens, the album grew on me, and while I don't think it's quite as strong as the outstanding The Stand-Ins, it's still one of the best albums of the year so far.

Rating: A-




No comments: