Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: Mamiffer: Mare Decendrii [A-]


Artist: Mamiffer
Album: Mare Decendrii
Released: March 2011
Label: Conspiracy Records
Genre: Post-rock / neoclassical rock

Purchase date: 27 April 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: eMusic

I don't really know a whole lot about this Seattle-area trio. They have a dark, ambient, neoclassical sound that would work as the soundtrack of a horror movie. Actually, when I stumbled across this band, I became interested in their music for just that reason: I thought it would be great mood music for a horror role-playing game that I was putting together at the time. Since then, the album as really grown on me, and I find myself playing it at the office as background music that helps keep me focused on the task rather than on the music itself. That said, it's delightfully creepy music to play when you're alone in the house at night with the lights off. For those with similarly off-kilter sensibilities, I would strongly recommend this album.

Rating: A-


No comments: