Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vintage Review: Galaxie 500: Today [B+]


Artist: Galaxie 500
Album: Today
Released: 1988
Label: Domino Records
Genre: dream pop

Purchase date: 7 June 2010
Format: mp3 files
Source: eMusic

I was very excited when I heard that Domino Records was re-releasing the three studio albums of the late-'80s dream pop act Galaxie 500. I had been a bit of a fan back in the day, and I still have a very worn-out cassette copy of this album that actually managed not to get eaten by my '83 Dodge Omni's terrible cassette player.

Named for the lead singer's car (a 1971 Ford Galaxie 500), the band was a Boston-based trio that formed in 1987 and released three albums before breaking up in 1991. Their sound owes a great deal to The Velvet Underground, including laid-back rhythms, droning guitars, and half-spoken, half-sung vocals. They were one of the bands of the era that set the stage for the slowcore music movement of the '90s.

Today was the band's 1988 debut album. Standout tracks are "Flowers," "Tugboat," and "King of Spain." I really like this music both as something mellow to play in the background, and as a headphones album. Hearing this album again was a great blast from the past, and it did hold up for me after all those years.

Rating: B+



No comments: