Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: The xx: xx [A-]

Artist: The xx
Album: xx
Released: August 2009
Label: Rough Trade Records
Genre: indie pop / post-punk

Purchased: 10 July 2010
Format: mp3 files
Source: eMusic

While this debut full-length album from this English trio came out in late 2009, I didn't pick it up on my radar until I heard the buzz about this band from the 2010 SXSW music festival in March. (Not that I've ever actually been to SXSW, but I was closely following my favorite critics' reporting from Austin.) Then All Songs Considered webcast an April concert by the band from the 9:30 Club, and I decided that I had to get my hands on this album.

The xx is a master of getting maximum impact from minimal arrangements. Their music draws a deep intensity out of spare instrumentation and quiet vocals. This is another band with both a male and a female vocalist who each sing lead, often on the same songs. The pairing of their voices adds a delicious sexiness to the music, which often reminds me of early Portishead.

Rating: A-


Artist no longer available at eMusic

No comments: