Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: Mumford & Sons: Sigh No More [A]


Artist: Mumford & Sons
Album: Sigh No More
Released: February 2010
Label: Glassnote Records
Genre: indie folk

Purchase Date: 11 Mar 2011
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

I'd heard of the West London-based indie folk quartet Mumford & Sons in early 2010, but I hadn't actually heard the music. Pitchfork, the hipster Bible, gave this album a terrible review, (primarily challenging the band's authenticity), and none of the other critics I follow reviewed it at all. My spouse was the person who turned me on to this band-- and what a find!

The music is heartfelt, warm, and played pretty much exclusively on acoustic folk instruments. These aren't traditional folk songs, but they sure are played that way. Marcus Mumford handles the lead vocals, and he puts just enough emotion into his presentation to make you feel what he's feeling, without crossing the line into melodrama. His lyrics are literary, intelligent, and amusingly self-depreciating. I loved this record. Highly recommended, especially to fans of indie folk.

Rating: A



No comments: