Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Robyn: Body Talk [B+]


Artist: Robyn
Album: Body Talk
Released: November 2010
Label: Interscope Records
Genre: Dance pop

Purchase Date: 23 November 2010
Format: mp3 files
Source: Amazon

As you could probably tell from reading my reviews, I'm not much of a dance pop fan. I don't have anything against dance pop as a genre, but clubbing was never my thing, and dance pop as music is best experienced when, um, dancing at a club.

However, some critics that I usually trust raved about this platinum-haired Swedish artist and the three Body Talk EPs that she released over the course of 2010. Then Amazon listed this album for $2.99 during their Black Friday Download sale. I figured that for three bucks, I'd gave it a try, and I was not disappointed.

For a genre known for its artificiality, I hear an authenticity in the lyrics that I find very appealing. Melodically, the songs are there too, and the production is excellent without drawing undue attention to itself. And while I don't see myself getting on the dance floor any time soon, I can totally see that this would be amazing music to dance to.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this record. Kudos to Amazon for pricing an album that I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise at a point that I was willing to take a chance.

Rating: B+



No comments: