Saturday, February 26, 2011

Review: Railroad Earth: Amen Corner [C-]


Artist: Railroad Earth
Album: Amen Corner
Released: June 2008
Label: SCI Fidelity
Genre: Americana / country

Purchase Date: 19 Aug 2010
Format: mp3 files
Source: eMusic

I hadn't heard of this band before when I saw them perform at the 2010 Finger Lakes Grassroots Festival of Music and Dance in July 2010. They put on a wonderful and energetic show, and I really liked them. Their music is country-folk, with long on-stage jams. They kind of reminded me of a country version of Phish. I purchased and downloaded their most recent (at the time) album a few weeks later and was really looking forward to hearing their recording.

Unfortunately, this album showed once again that terrific live acts often don't translate well to recording. Amen Corner is lively enough, but over-produced, such that the sparks that the live act throws have been airbrushed out. I found the record to be kind of boring, which was a huge disappointment for a band that was so much fun live.

Rating: C-

Live performance of "Down This Road Before"

No comments: